Request to Excuse Student Absence Form
Attendance: Regular and punctual school attendance is important to successful student progression. Students who are tardy or absent excessively from the instructional program will fall behind in academic achievement. Excessive school absenteeism precedes grade failure, loss of interest, and may result in students withdrawing from school. M-DCPS’ attendance requirements are outlined in School Board Policy 5200
Only ABSENCES FROM SCHOOL can be submitted using the link below. Absences FROM CLASS MUST BE EXCUSED BY CLASSROOM TEACHER.
Student absences may be excused via this website. Using the link provided, parents may request an absence to be excused. In order for the request to be processed the online form MUST be COMPLETED and documentation explaining the absence MUST BE UPLOADED. Any requests that are not complete or are missing document upload WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
Absences Defined (6Gx13- 5A-1.041)
A. Excused School and Class Absences and Tardies
- Student illness: Students missing 5 or more consecutive days of school due to illness or injury are required to provide a written statement from a health care provider. The written statement must include all days the student has been absent from school. If a student is continually sick and repeatedly absent from school due to a specific medical condition, he or she must be under the supervision of a health care provider in order to receive excused absences from school.
- Medical appointment: If a student is absent from school due to a medical appointment a written statement from a health care provider indicating the date and time of the appointment must be submitted to the principal.
- Death in family
- Observance of a religious holiday or service when it is mandated for all members of a faith that such a holiday or service be observed.
- School-sponsored event or educational enrichment activity that is not a school-sponsored event, as determined and approved by the principal or principal’s designee: The student must receive advance written permission from the principal or the principal’s designee. Examples of special events include: public functions, conferences, and regional, state and national competitions.
- Subpoena by law enforcement agency or mandatory court appearance.
- Outdoor suspensions
- Other individual student absences beyond the control of the parent/guardian or student, as determined and approved by the principal or the principal’s designee. The principal shall require documentation related to the condition.